Life Span’s Center for Legal Services and Advocacy, a nationally known best practices agency, seeks two full-time Court Advocates to provide advocacy services to victims of domestic and sexual violence. We are seeking one Advocate to work out of our Chicago office and one to work from our Des Plaines office in the Skokie and Rolling Meadows Courthouses. Life Span is a nationally known leader in the provision of services to victims of violence and their children. Our comprehensive services include criminal court advocacy representation in civil cases, counseling. Our innovative programs deal with such issues as police domestic violence, immigration, employment issues, sexual assault civil no contact orders, the effects of trauma on clients and their children, teen dating violence, and battered women as respondents in civil cases. Our agency has two sites, and services are available in English, Spanish, Polish and Arabic and are free of charge. Our agency provides national leadership in policy work and systemic advocacy, and our staff has trained advocates, lawyers, judges, counselors and other professionals in Illinois and across the country on critical issues and innovative practices.
General Job Description: Assist victims of domestic violence who seek civil legal representation and/or criminal court advocacy and provide paralegal support and additional assistance to staff attorneys and legal director as needed.
- Provide court advocacy to clients at the Chicago Domestic Violence Court at 555 W. Harrison, Chicago, IL or at the Rolling Meadows and Skokie courthouses.
- Conduct client interviews and complete intake paperwork.
- Explain Life Span services and the Illinois Domestic Violence Act to clients and help them form a plan of action based on their options under the law.
- Provide clients with referrals to other needed services.
- Maintain case files.
- Maintain complete client statistics and submit as required by Life Span administration on a timely basis.
- Attend and participate in trainings and outreach as assigned.
- Assist attorneys with document preparation.
Compensation: Generous benefits package, competitive salary dependent upon experience.
Bachelor of Arts Degree; Spanish, Polish, Russian, or Arabic language skills at the bilingual level are strongly prioritized for this position; commitment to working in the not-for-profit/public interest sector; prior experience in working with domestic violence victims is helpful.
Please send resume and cover letter to Denice Wolf Markham, Executive Director, Life Span Center for Legal Services and Advocacy, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NO TELEPHONE CALLS.