Sexual Assault

About Sexual Assault

If you are a survivor of sexual abuse or sexual assault, you may be able to get a protective order to help keep you safe. You have rights under the law even if you did not report the assault to the police, if the assault happened some time ago, or if the police and/or State’s Attorney’s Office have told you that there is not enough evidence for a criminal case. Please contact Life Span at 312-408-1210 for more information.

Education & Training

Life Span provides trainings to police departments, prosecutors, colleges & universities, and other social service agencies. Please contact Life Span at 312-408-1210 for more information.

* Services are also available in Spanish, Polish and Arabic.

Services For Survivors

  • Representation on Civil No Contact Orders
  • Legal advocacy with issues stemming from the assault

Financial Concerns

Crime Victims Compensation Act (CVC):

Victims of sexual assault may be eligible to receive compensation for expenses related to the assault, including medical and hospital expenses, counseling or therapy costs, relocation expenses, loss of earnings, and tuition reimbursement.


Victims’ Economic Security and Safety Act (VESSA):

Victims of sexual assault may be eligible to take time off work to attend court, seek counseling, or see a doctor. Your employer must give you up to 12 weeks of unpaid job-guaranteed leave to help you cope with problems caused by the sexual assault.


Title IX of the Civil Rights Act:

Federal law requires schools to protect students from sex discrimination, including sexual assault. We can work with your high school or university to ensure that you can safely continue your education.

School Disciplinary Code:

If the perpetrator is a fellow student, you have a right to bring a complaint under the school disciplinary code.


Illinois Safe Homes Act:

Victims of sexual assault may be able to end their lease early and/or change their locks.

Student Housing:

If you live in student housing, your university should assist you in relocating to a safe address.


U Visa:

If you reported the assault to the police and have cooperated with the investigation, you may be eligible for a U Visa. A U Visa grants temporary status and work authorization for 4 years in the U.S. As a U status holder, you may potentially apply for Lawful Permanent Resident Status in the future.

Student Visa:

Some students experience problems with their student visa if they are forced to drop out of college as a result of the assault. Our staff can help explain your options.

We will explore all legal options in a way that maintains your privacy. For a free and confidential legal consultation, please contact Life Span at 312-408-1210.

Sorry, but we cannot support your browser. Please call Life Span at 312-408-1210 for more information.

For a better browsing experience, please upgrade to a modern web browser.

Mozilla Firefox Microsoft Internet Explorer Apple Safari Google Chrome